Monday, March 3, 2008

Remembering Her Last Days


That morning, that one fateful Christmas Morning, I woke up from my short, interrupted sleep and had a glance at the Blood Pressure Indicator. Her pressure went down a little, but according to Nafi, the Maid on Duty, it was exceptionally normal for her to be in such a shape. Her breathing was rather hoarse and unrefined. Her pulse rate, albeit in her deep slumber, indicated an equivalent to a running man.

I am not a Doctor, I could never tell the difference. But something tells me... it ain't right.


She was calm nevertheless. Her eyes closed as always. Her skin never changed - blemished and reddish all over. When the nurses cleaned her up, her back soar never looked like recovering. Her sore feet worsen.

Deep down in my heart, partially, I had my reservations over the care of the doctors and nurses at the hospital. Things could have been much better handled.

She was infected with a bacteria or virus or some sort and became immune to any sort of antibiotics during her tenure at the hospital. And her back sore became as large as a crater courtesy of her confinement and bed-ridden days in the hospital wards.

But then again, perhaps, it was just about time...


I spent the night with her - the night before she left us all. I left her at 11.00 in the morning when my Dad and another Maid of ours came by to take over the shift.

I swear to God, I never knew it would come on that fateful day itself. One of my brothers, Rozman, was not around, as he was already in Langkawi with his family.

There was no any unusual signs when I left her.

Only when my Dad called me at about Maghrib time that I realized something was wrong.

I rushed to the hospital, only to find that her breathing was unusual. It was a moment of "Nazak"... something I often see on TV, on others but never this close, this immediate.

And when she left us with her last gasp of breath... I was right beside her hoping that her life could be prolonged just... a little longer.

It turned out that God loved her much more than I do.


Time stopped for a moment...

2 comments:

Aidee Aris said...

Here's hoping to hear some views from close family members.

Aidee Aris said...

Here's hoping to hear some views from close family members.